I would think what this survey found was problematic, even if I wasn’t a white guy:
You should read the whole thing, but…
Key findings include:
- 52% believe their company practices “reverse discrimination” in hiring
- 1 in 6 have been asked to deprioritize hiring white men
- 48% have been asked to prioritize diversity over qualifications
- 53% believe their job will be in danger if they don’t hire enough diverse employees
- 70% believe their company has DEI initiatives for appearances’ sake
And I question even the “good news”:
The good news is that the vast majority of hiring managers ‘somewhat’ (30%) or ‘strongly’ (67%) believe their company has overall good intentions when it comes to DEI initiatives.
Remember, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Lest I be misunderstood: I believe there are benefits to diversity and that everyone should be (and feel) included. I am cautious about the word “equity,” given what it can really mean, but am 100% behind equality.
However, discrimation is discrimination, and it is both illegal and immoral.